Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Cloth Diapering at a Hotel

Two weeks ago my family and I went to Florida for a little vacation.  I was a little nervous at first about taking cloth diapers.  How/where would I wash them?  Will sand be an issue? Can I even fit the diapers in to the luggage?

I called the hotel and they did say they have a coin operated washer and dryer.  I thought, ok this is great, I can continue to wash them without having to worry about anything.  That was, until I got to the hotel and saw the machines.  $1.75 per load.  We were away from home for 8 1/2 days.  I would need to wash diapers three times.  This would quickly get expensive.

After the Flats and Handwashing Challenge I have been exclusively using flats and hemp inside of the pockets.  We no longer use the microfiber inserts.  Taking the challenge prepared me for staying at the hotel without the need for a washing machine.  I packed the detergent and a bunch of pants hangers.



On Tuesday I washed diapers from Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday morning.  The rest of the week I washed the diapers daily.  It was easier to just wash the day's worth of diapers.  Not to mention it took a little over 24 hours for the diapers and flats to dry.  This ensured I had clean diapers while the others were drying.  I even ironed the flats!  That is something I never thought I would say.  After hanging they were a bit wrinkled and did not lay inside of the diapers nicely, so I ironed them.  A couple of the pockets I even took to the pool with us to sun them while we were swimming. 

At the end of the week we did wash our regular laundry.  I thought about hand-washing those too, but Martin's clothes were a bit dirty from fishing all week so I wanted them to get a good clean in the wash. Washing our clothes cost $7.  That is insane.  I cannot imagine having to go to a laundromat.  I give you ladies credit that have to.  

The real test will be in a couple weeks when I go camping.  No tubs, heating water on a fire, and plenty of line to hang diapers.   Super excited for the adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Gotta hand it to you! I don't think I would have done cloth diapers when being away from home, and with such an expensive price for the Laundromat. Then again, I have not started cloth diapers, so I don't know exactly how much I'll end up loving them! I love your dedication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's expensive!

    I'm happy to know that I could cloth diaper my baby even if we are far away from home :)

    ReplyDelete