Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Change is a Constant

      There is a saying  "the only constant in life is change."  This holds so true especially in parenting.  From the moment I found out I was pregnant for the very first time six years ago my life has completely changed.  I also know that babies do not stay babies, toddlers grow up, and your once completely dependent child is now feeding himself, picking out and putting on his own clothes, washing dishes (or at least trying very hard to), and playing independently.  
   
     In the past month Owen's personality has changed more than I could imagine it would over a month's time.  Just last month he was having me swaddle him in his blankie and singing to him as I rocked him like a baby.   He loved to cuddle, all the time.  He would hold my hand when walking or going up the stairs.  He sat in my lap sometimes for meals and to play.  Lately however, I am lucky if I get a hug or if he blows me a kiss.  He tells me that he is my 'big helper' and he also does not ask for help with much anymore.  He LOVES to help me clean, do laundry as well as wash dishes.   I love my 'big helper,' but I also miss my little cuddle bug.

    WELL... This morning he woke up at 9:00 and grabbed my arm and snuggled in real close.  We layed in bed all snuggled for almost half an hour.  It was bliss!  I felt like I had my little baby back.  Do not get me wrong, I am not one of those people that say "I wish I could keep him this size forever"  I want to see him learn and grow and become his own person.  But, I absolutely adore those moments where he is all mine.  Where I am all his and nothing else matters.  

    I look forward to every day I have with him.  I am amazed every day by how much he has learned so far and how independent he is becoming.  Each moment is precious and I want to remember it all.  I also look forward to the day he gets to meet Charlotte (his new baby sister!) and shows what a great big brother he can be.  For now I am going to soak up every moment I have with only him.

   Hug your child/children, hold onto those special moments.  Life is so precious and it passes us by so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment