Saturday, January 12, 2013

Philly Cheese steak stuffed peppers

I got the idea off Pinterest from http://peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.com/2012/06/philly-cheesesteak-stuffed-peppers.html#.UPIH5G9hRty  I didn't want to make this blog about recipes because I usually do not have many.  However I will share the occasional good recipe.  

Unlike the blog post at peaceloveandlowcarb, I used shaved steak instead of the roast beef.   Here is how I made it:

1 cup Onions
1/4 cup Mushrooms (approx two mushrooms)
1lb Shaved steak
Salt
Pepper
2 large Green bell peppers
2 cups Mozzarella Cheese

Cut peppers in half and clean.  Boil peppers until soft but not to the point they are falling apart, this serves as your bowl.  Meanwhile slice onions and mushrooms.  I used about a cup of onions and 1/4 cup of mushrooms.  Saute.  Brown the shaved steak, add salt and pepper to taste.  Combine meat and onions and mushrooms.   Place the softened bell peppers on a foil lined cookie sheet (makes for easy clean up)  sprinkle mozzarella cheese in the bottom of the pepper.  Add meat mixture on top of that.  Cover with mozzarella cheese.   Place in over and broil until cheese is melted.    Serve hot, refrigerate left overs.

Serves 4.

**Notes:   All measurements are to taste.  I like a lot of onions and cheese but not many mushrooms.
Both DH and I loved this, however there are a couple changes I will make for next time.  Next time I am going to try boiling the peppers in au jus sauce to add more flavor, as well as add some to the meat mixture.   Any remaining would be great to pour over the pepper on your plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment