Monday, May 20, 2013

Cloth diaper survey



Children
Owen-34months
Charlotte-coming end of July!!! 

How long have you been cloth diapering?
A little over a year.

Why did you choose to cloth diaper?
We started when we were expecting twins.  We didn't want to spend a fortune on disposable diapers.

What diapers are in your stash? 
BumGenius, FuzziBunz, SunBaby, Happy Flute, Perfect Bum, GroVia, KissaLuvs, Lil Joey's, Kawaii, cool-a-baby, Swaddlebees

Favorite diaper in your stash?
bumGenius 4.0 pocket

Biggest cloth diapering challenge?
Getting rid of the ammonia smell.  Just tried Funk Rock detergent...and I think it finally worked!!

Favorite thing about cloth diapering?
I am not constantly buying disposable diapers, once I have my stash I am good, no more buying diapers. 

Least favorite thing about cloth diapering? 
Traveling, they are bulky and take up a bit of space.

What kind of wipes do you use?
At the moment, flushable, but plan to use cloth wipes with the baby.
 
What is your overnight system?
Hemp inserts and a microfiber inside of a sunbaby, kawaii, or bumgenius (because they have the PUL strip across the belly)

Do you/how do you rinse off your CD before pailing them?
I rinse the diapers in the toilet with a diaper sprayer and a spray pal. 
(HIGHLY recommend the spray pal if you plan to use a diaper sprayer!) 

What kind of pail system do you have?
I simply have a large wet bag inside of a hamper.

What is your wash routine? (how you wash, what detergent/additives, how often, how do you dry?)

I rinse all the diapers as I change them, then they go in the wet bag.  Once I have about 15-20 dirty diapers I throw them in the wash.   I wash in warm water with Rockin Green Soap.  I toss in the dryer on low heat.  

And what one CD item would you purchase if money were no object? 
I would recommend the diaper sprayer and spray pal, as well as having about 30-40 diapers in a stash.   A larger stash means more rotation which means diapers wont wear as quickly and can be used for a longer period of time.  Also means don't have to do laundry daily, (which is nice for unexpected power outages, washing machine malfunctions, and so on.) 

Favorite cloth diaper advice?
Try a couple of different diapers before stocking up on one particular type/brand.  Never know which one you will like best, or which will fit your child best.

 

1 comment:

  1. Love this!!

    Every baby is different, but what diaper would you recommend for my boy.

    He's 8 lbs. Very skinny thighs. Skinny hips/waist but wide belly. :)

    ReplyDelete