Friday, November 23, 2012

Catching up

It has been a while since I have written.  I completely forgot about this blog.  I decided the other day I wanted to start a blog to keep track of what is going on in my life.  More details to follow.

First I want to catch up on things.  I am still living in NC with my husband and now 2 year old son.  In February of this year I became pregnant after a little over a year ttc.  I quickly found out that I was pregnant with twins.  I was so over whelmed with excitement.  What could possibly go wrong?  I am a twin, there are tons of them born all the time, I shouldn't have anything to worry about, right? Wrong!  After a few weeks I found out that I was pregnant with "Mo-Mo" twins (Monoamniotic-Monochorionic).  Here is an update that I posted on Facebook to help my family understand what I was dealing with.
"I have Monoamniotic-Monochorionic ("MoMo") twins.  This means that my babies share an amniotic sac as well as a placenta.  The good thing about this is that the Twin to twin transfusion syndrome is low, at just about 15%.  However, it will be harder to determine ttts.  There are more serious complications though, cord strangulation, compression, and tanglement.  All these risks scare the crap out of me.  Their cords are already knotted and so the perinatologist plans to remove amniotic fluid to drastically reduce the space the twins have to move.  The hopes are that with out much space to move, they are less likely to hurt one another.   I just want healthy babies.  While I do not wish for my children to have any issues, I know that these special cases are only given to those who are strong enough to handle it.  My babies are so far measuring correctly and developing as they should.  Today, when I looked at my sweet babies, and listened to their hearts beat, I am hopeful for a wonderful healthy future for my growing family and for the amazing gift I have been given."
Well as it turned out, May 15th at a little more than 15 weeks, I was having bad cramps and a little spotting. I was babysitting that day so after I was done I went to the doctors.  He had an ultrasound done and it showed not heart beat on either child, and many knots in the umbilical cords.  He gave me a shot of pitocin to induce labor.  I delivered the twins pretty quickly.  I was able to hold the precious little things.  They really looked like miniature humans.  They were born around 3pm.  We decided to name them Garret Lewis and Derek Marcel.  Garret weighed 57.89 grams, 11cm, and Derek was 59.23 grams and 11.4cm.

After I lost the twins I was a total emotional wreck, as can be predicted from anyone who has lost a child.  I think it was a bit different for me because unlike many miscarriages I was able to hold the twins.  I had the chance to make that emotional connection with them.  I have since seen a grief counselor and finally able to talk about the twins without becoming distraught.

I am still attending school and scheduled to finish in January 2013.  Just two months time!   It is amazing to be almost done.  Any how, that is all for now.  I will make another post about my current situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment