Thursday, May 15, 2014

Flats and Handwashing Challenge: Day 5

Day 5: Flats Experience- Folds

As mentioned in previous posts, I have never worked with prefolds or flats before.  I looked at a few folds on other blogs and youtube videos.  After talking to my friend over at Trial and Error Homemaking, she told me about the Happy Anteater fold.  I also use the pad fold and stuff it inside of a pocket.



So, how do I like using flats?  When the diapers are just wet it is ok.  The number one reason I avoided flats and prefolds in the past before was I did not like that the wetness would be all around the baby's bottom vs just in between the legs.  The pockets also have a layer of fleece to keep the wetness off of baby's bottom.  However, I decided it would not hurt to try and see what happens.  Maybe I would like it, maybe I wouldn't.




I will say, TMI alert, since Charlotte has started eating more solids her poop is a bit unpredictable and gross.  I have not mastered any folds in the past couple days.  This makes it a bit difficult when poop happens.  Yesterday we had a bit of a mess in the Rumparooz cover.  The cover has an extra layer of PUL where the snaps are, this creates a pocket.  Well, when the flat is not folded right, poop doesn't stay in it.  I have to rave about the cover because nothing leaked out of it!  Cleaning up the mess was a little difficult though.

I think I am going to stick with cheating by simply folding the flat and stuffing it in a pocket.






Stay tuned for more posts about the challenge!!

Day 1:  Why Are You Taking the Challenge?
Day 2: Show Us Your “Stash” and tell us what did it cost?
Day 3:  Challenge Update
Day 4:  What is your Washing Routine?
Day 5:  Flats Experience- Folds you love, Are they working, etc.
Day 6: Open Topic
Day 7: Overall Experience, What did you learn, Would you do it?

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to try the flats abd cover thing ďi have fsts but haven't been brave enough to use them for diapers yet!

    ReplyDelete